The Hotel Charitone was constructed in 1923. Designed by local architect William L. Perkins for Mr. Henry F. McCullough and Mr. W.D. Junkin as a premier hotel to serve the people of Chariton. Located on the northeast corner of the Chariton square, it consisted of 59 hotel rooms and a hotel dining and reception area on the main level.
In 2012 the property was acquired by a recently formed Lucas County Preservation Alliance. With operations managed by the Hotel Charitone LLC it was restored for residential and commercial use and opened in 2014. It currently consists of 12 apartments and The Iron Horse Neighborhood Grill located on the main level.
The Elbow Room (the lower level of Hotel Charitone) is now available for meetings and events at this time.
The Lucas County Preservation Alliance board includes Dennis Bisgard, Nash Cox, Alyse Hunter, Raymond Meyer, Mariah Pierschbacher, and Christopher Watkins. The Hotel Charitone LLC is board members Dennis Bisgard, Alyse Hunter, Hilary Masters, Logan McGee, and Raymond Meyer.
For more information about the property, to rent an apartment, or to contribute to the Alliance please contact Raymond C. Meyer at 106 N Grand Chariton, Iowa 50049 at 641.774.2179 firstname.lastname@example.org.